Translate

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chellsie Memmel: DENIED!

WHAT I THINK OF THE CHELLSIE MEMMEL FIASCO

I realize that I am a bit late posting on this, but I wanted to share my thoughts on Chellsie Memmel petitioning to Nationals, competing one event and falling twice at Classics, and then being denied to compete at Nationals. 

Well first off, I do not know what Chellsie was even thinking trying to qualify to Visas and Olympic trials in the first place. I guess it is always hard for a gymnast to come to terms with the fact that their elite career, which has been their entire life, is over. Injured Chellsie obviously did not have a prayer of making the Olympic team, and I'm sure she realized that. However, due to the huge sacrifices she has made for the good of Team USA over the years, I believe that she should have been given the chance to compete at Nationals simply as a gesture of goodwill by USA Gymnastics. They should have shown respect to this standout gymnast who has done so much for USAG over the years. 

And I think it might have gone that way, had Chellsie not refused to attend Marta Karolyi's monthly team training camps. I for one am actually a bit surprised that Chellsie was allowed to remain on the nationals team after apparently not having attended a camp in several years. I feel that while what happened to Chellsie is sad and a bit unfair, it is not surprising. People have referenced Shawn Johnson's petition to Nationals in 2011, which was accepted even after she fell twice at Classics just like Chellsie. However, Shawn was attending camps. And in my opinion, that's what made the difference. 

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see what you think of my blog! I will approve all comments as quickly as I can. I currently don't know how to let them through without moderation or I would do that;)

    ReplyDelete