Translate

Sunday, July 8, 2012

2012 Women's Gymnastics: Olympic Lineup

So my predictions for the Olympic team were all correct except for Nastia, who was on my list but couldn't get her bars together in time for trials; and Kyla, who made the team I think mostly because she filled the bars hole (and also can be used on any event if necessary.) Now I would like to make my predictions about who will compete what.

All-Around: In the 4 up 3 count format used for prelims, Martha will only have enough spots for 3 gymnasts to try to qualify for all-around since McKayla Maroney has to vault to qualify for the event final. However; team USA has 4 strong all-around gymnasts (everyone but McKayla.) My guess is that Kyla will be left out of the all-around party, although she has a gorgeous artistic "international" look and I believe has the potential to outscore Aly and maybe even Gabby. But they have consistently outscored her in the U.S.

TEAM FINALS PREDICTIONS:

Vault: Jordyn, Gabby, McKayla.

Bars: Jordyn, Kyla, Gabby.

Beam: Kyla, Jordyn, Aly

Floor: Gabby, Aly, Jordyn

There are a couple of problems with this: The first is the fact that although Aly was ranked first on both beam and floor at trials and nationals, she is not expected to be well received by the international judges. She struggles with foot form, split requirements in her jumps (which is such a problem that I expect the Olympic judges to downgrade some of her difficulty), and general artistry. She scores well in the U.S. because of her huge power, but she will be up against gymnasts at the Olympic who can do everything she can do, and can do it a lot prettier.

The other problem with the line up, which is not as big as the Aly problem but still troublesome, is Gabby's floor. It scores great here in the U.S. but the choreography is very NCAA. If Kyla could upgrade I think she could be used instead, but I doubt she will so close to the Olys.

Last thing, I would like to predict who has good chances for the event finals. I have not been keeping up with the other teams I have to admit, and I have several competitions to watch so I can catch up, but I can tell you that McKayla Maroney still has the best vaults in the world. If she hits those vaults (and I've never seen her miss), that gold medal is hers. I think Gabby has a great shot on bars, not for gold but at least for a medal, and Kyla or Aly could possibly qualify on beam. I also think Jordyn could get a medal on floor. I don't think anyone will medal in or even qualify for three event finals like Nastia did (exept mayyyyybe Jordyn if she gets her beam together), but USA should have a good showing throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment